NJ Law Against Discrimination
Michelle David, Kenilworth real estate agent and broker-manager at RE/MAX Vision in Union County, NJ, explains a home buyer and renter's rights to fair housing.
New Jersey Law against Discrimination
Every home seller needs to understand the federal fair housing laws as depicted in the New Jersey Law against Discrimination outlined by the Office of the Attorney General. Additionally, every real estate agent in NJ needs to adhere to the same fair housing laws to be in compliance with Real Estate Commission regulations as well. Here are some rules you should be aware of with regard to the Law against Discrimination (LAD) and fair housing:
1. When a seller lists a home with a realtor, or a landlord lists a property for rent with a real estate agent, the salesperson must give you a copy of the LAD legal memorandum.
2. Federal law prohibits discrimination in the sale or lease of real estate according to the following protected classes:
c. Familial status
d. Marital status
e. National origin
i. Sexual orientation
j. Source of lawful income
3. Discriminatory advertising is also prohibited.
4. If a seller or landlord intends to discriminate, a listing broker must refuse the listing.
5. Every written offer for a seller?s or landlord?s property must be presented by the listing agent.
6. Violations of the New Jersey Law against Discrimination can be penalized up to $10,000 for a first offense and $25,000 for a second offense. In addition, violators can be penalized up to $50,000 for violating the fair housing laws within seven years.
7. If a tenant has a guide dog, a landlord may not charge an extra fee.
8. Landlords must let tenants (at their own expense) to modify a home within reason to accommodate the tenant.
9. If you have any questions or need additional information about protecting your civil rights, go to www.njcivilrights.org.
Kenilworth Real Estate Broker
Michelle David, broker-manager and co-owner of the Kenilworth RE/MAX Vision, is an ethical and professional realtor who can help you find a property you can enjoy for many years to come. Contact Michelle David at 908-208-3775 or use email. RE/MAX Vision has now moved its office to 600 Boulevard in Kenilworth to serve the Cranford and Kenilworth communites better. Call Michelle David today.
© 2001-2017 Reliance Network and RE/MAX of New Jersey.
All rights reserved. US Reg. Copyright TX-5-910-991, TX-5-910-992, TX-5-910-993, and TX-5-910-994.
Each RE/MAX® Office is Independently Owned and Operated. Equal Housing Opportunity.